CD row: BJP MLA opts out of Karnataka Assembly polls
Bangalore: A CD purportedly showing a ruling BJP legislator in a sexual act has landed him in trouble, prompting him to announce he would not contest the May 5 assembly polls.
"I am shocked and it is certainly not me in the CD," said 45-year old Raghupati Bhat, a second-time MLA from Udupi, and termed it as an "ugly attempt" to tarnish his image in the run-up to the elections.
This is the second time Bhat has landed in a controversy after the mysterious disappearance and subsequent suicide of his wife Padmapriya at a New Delhi apartment some years ago.
As the CDs were circulated in the district and elsewhere, Bhat told reporters in Udupi, "I think my political rivals are behind this. I have not committed any mistake."
Bhat said his decision to keep out of the polls was intended to avoid embarrassment to his party.
Newly appointed state BJP president Prahlad Joshi said the party would examine the CD and take appropriate action. He expressed suspicion that the CD could be the handiwork of Bhat`s political adversaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?