CD row: BJP MLA opts out of Karnataka Assembly polls
Bangalore: A CD purportedly showing a ruling BJP legislator in a sexual act has landed him in trouble, prompting him to announce he would not contest the May 5 assembly polls.
"I am shocked and it is certainly not me in the CD," said 45-year old Raghupati Bhat, a second-time MLA from Udupi, and termed it as an "ugly attempt" to tarnish his image in the run-up to the elections.
This is the second time Bhat has landed in a controversy after the mysterious disappearance and subsequent suicide of his wife Padmapriya at a New Delhi apartment some years ago.
As the CDs were circulated in the district and elsewhere, Bhat told reporters in Udupi, "I think my political rivals are behind this. I have not committed any mistake."
Bhat said his decision to keep out of the polls was intended to avoid embarrassment to his party.
Newly appointed state BJP president Prahlad Joshi said the party would examine the CD and take appropriate action. He expressed suspicion that the CD could be the handiwork of Bhat`s political adversaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in