‘Central team satisfied with steps taken to tackle drought`
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda on Wednesday said a central team on a tour of drought hit areas in the state has lauded the steps taken by the government to tackle it, but raised concern over malnutrition in the Hyderabad-Karnataka region.
"The team has expressed satisfaction over the steps taken by the government for drought relief work, but voiced concern over malnutrition in Hyderabad-Karnataka region, which we have promised to address seriously," he told reporters here.
On April 30, Government had informed the Karnataka High Court that 68,000 children suffer from malnutrition.
The court had constituted a nine-member committee after B L Patil of NGO Vimochana Sangha wrote - following a TV channel report of children suffering from malnutrition - to Chief Justice Vikramjit Singh to look into it. The CJ converted it to a PIL and asked it to look at various aspects.
Gowda also expressed confidence that the Centre would release 50 per cent of Rs 4,600 crore sought by the government for drought relief.
Gowda also said the team would submit within a week a report to the centre on the drought situation in the state.
The government has declared 123 of 176 taluks in Karnataka as drought affected.
The team`s visit comes in the backdrop of a memorandum submitted to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by an all party delegation led by Gowda, seeking Rs 1,500 crore as interim relief for crop losses totalling Rs 5,864 crore caused due to scanty rainfall.
The delegation also wanted the Centre to allot an additional three lakh tons of rice and 57,200 tons of wheat for families living Below the Poverty Line.
Gowda declined to comment on CBI raids at former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and family members` properties and residences in Bangalore and Shimoga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'