Change of guard in K’taka victory of corruption: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday slammed BJP for replacing its Chief Minister in Karnataka terming the move as the "victory of corruption" and said the "cosmetic change" will not improve governance in the state.
"Change of guard in Karnataka is victory of corruption. This is only a cosmetic change, which will not bring any substantial improvement in governance, which is at the receiving end there.
The drama of Karanataka (Karnataka Ka Natak) that was going on has been only temporarily brought to an end with this change of Chief Minister. It will begin again after three months as the new Chief Minister Jagdish Shettar will just be another puppet in someone else`s hands," party general secretary B K Hariprasad said.
His comments came after BJP today announced that Chief Minister Sadanand Gowda has submitted his resignation to the party and will be replaced by B S Yeddyurappa`s loyalist Jagadish Shettar.
The BJP high command bowed to Lingayat leader Yeddyurappa in view of the Assembly elections due early next year and agreed to replace 59-year-old Gowda, a Vokkaliga leader, with Rural Development Minister Shettar, 56, who is a Lingayat.
Announcing the decision which ended the political impasse in Karnataka, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari said the performance of BJP government in the state during Gowda`s time was "very good"
Dismissing the claim, Hariprasad said nothing worthwhile was done in the state during Gowda`s time and Gadkari praising his tenure suggests "not doing one`s job is good work in BJP. During Gowda`s time BJP has not taken any decision for the development of the state."
Hariprasad had yesterday said that change of guard was no solution to the problem in Karnataka and had called for fresh elections in the state where polls are due next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs