Chargesheet filed against BSY in land scam
Bangalore: Spelling more trouble for former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, Karnataka Lokayukta Police on Monday filed a chargesheet against him and former Industries Minister Katta Subramanya Naidu for "criminal misconduct as public servants in arbitrarily denotifying land".
It came on a day when the Lokayukta Special Court ordered probe against Yeddyurappa and Industries Minister Murugesh Nirani on a complaint accusing them of illegally ordering cancellation of an industrial site on the basis of a forged signature.
The chargesheet against Yeddyurappa and Katta have been filed under provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act, City Lokayukta SP P K Shivashankara told reporters here.
Yeddyurappa "caused" heavy loss to the state exchequer by denotifying the land by waiving development and service charges amounting to Rs 8.64 crore, he said.
Shivashankara said Yeddyurappa, when he was Chief Minister in 2008, abused his official power and illegally denotified 20 acres acquired by the Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board (KIADB) for setting up an SEZ at Hoovinayankanahalli near Devanahalli.
The land belongs to the owners of leading English and Kannada dailies, he said.
Prior to denotifying the land, Yeddyurappa had sent the application for denotification asking KIADB officials to calculate the amount of development and service charges to be paid by the land owners, Shivashankara said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research