Chargesheet filed against BSY in land scam
Bangalore: Spelling more trouble for former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, Karnataka Lokayukta Police on Monday filed a chargesheet against him and former Industries Minister Katta Subramanya Naidu for "criminal misconduct as public servants in arbitrarily denotifying land".
It came on a day when the Lokayukta Special Court ordered probe against Yeddyurappa and Industries Minister Murugesh Nirani on a complaint accusing them of illegally ordering cancellation of an industrial site on the basis of a forged signature.
The chargesheet against Yeddyurappa and Katta have been filed under provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act, City Lokayukta SP P K Shivashankara told reporters here.
Yeddyurappa "caused" heavy loss to the state exchequer by denotifying the land by waiving development and service charges amounting to Rs 8.64 crore, he said.
Shivashankara said Yeddyurappa, when he was Chief Minister in 2008, abused his official power and illegally denotified 20 acres acquired by the Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board (KIADB) for setting up an SEZ at Hoovinayankanahalli near Devanahalli.
The land belongs to the owners of leading English and Kannada dailies, he said.
Prior to denotifying the land, Yeddyurappa had sent the application for denotification asking KIADB officials to calculate the amount of development and service charges to be paid by the land owners, Shivashankara said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened