Cheaper, lighter biomedical equipment using Def-tech
Bangalore: Creating spinoffs from various defence
technologies used in creating new defence machines, the Society
for Bio Medical Technology of Defence Research and Development
Organisation has come up with cheaper and lighter biomedical
instruments to help needy patients and address their needs.
According to DRDO chief Controller (R&D) W Selvamurthy, the
Society, set up in 1993 during former President Abdul Kalam`s
tenure, is a collaboration between DRDO, Department of Science
and Technology and Welfare Ministry, which has begun developing
modern bio-medical instruments with indigenous technology.
The society has come up with coronary stent using titanium
stainless steel, much cheaper than the earlier commercially
available one, he said on the sidelines of a recent function.
These stents are now being commercially manufactured and
currently being used by nearly 8000 persons, he said.
Another spin off was a cochlear implant being developed by
DRDO to help those with hearing problems. While imported ones
cost Rs six lakh, DRDO`s implant could be made available for Rs
one lakh. In the first phase, it would have eight electrodes,
he said, adding that the chip for it was developed in Bangalore.
Currently, animal trials are on and clinical trials would
take place in July. It would greatly benefit the poor, who
cannot afford expensive cochlear implants, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump