Cheaper, lighter biomedical equipment using Def-tech
Bangalore: Creating spinoffs from various defence
technologies used in creating new defence machines, the Society
for Bio Medical Technology of Defence Research and Development
Organisation has come up with cheaper and lighter biomedical
instruments to help needy patients and address their needs.
According to DRDO chief Controller (R&D) W Selvamurthy, the
Society, set up in 1993 during former President Abdul Kalam`s
tenure, is a collaboration between DRDO, Department of Science
and Technology and Welfare Ministry, which has begun developing
modern bio-medical instruments with indigenous technology.
The society has come up with coronary stent using titanium
stainless steel, much cheaper than the earlier commercially
available one, he said on the sidelines of a recent function.
These stents are now being commercially manufactured and
currently being used by nearly 8000 persons, he said.
Another spin off was a cochlear implant being developed by
DRDO to help those with hearing problems. While imported ones
cost Rs six lakh, DRDO`s implant could be made available for Rs
one lakh. In the first phase, it would have eight electrodes,
he said, adding that the chip for it was developed in Bangalore.
Currently, animal trials are on and clinical trials would
take place in July. It would greatly benefit the poor, who
cannot afford expensive cochlear implants, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you