Church attacks: HR Bhardwaj slams judicial commission report
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj on Sunday said he is "disturbed" by the Justice B K Somasekhara
Commission report on the church attacks of 2008 in the state
as the entire Christain community thinks that "no justice has
been done to them".
Bhardwaj said he has received a synopsis of the report and
not a full copy. "And I am disturbed about it," he told
He was responding to questions on his withholding
Bangalore University`s (BU) proposal to confer an honorary
degree on noted Kannada writer M Chidananda Murthy, which has
generated a controversy.
Bhardwaj, Chancellor of the universities in the state,
justified his decision to "temporarily withhold" the proposal,
saying a newspaper report has stated that Murthy, a former
Professor of Kannada at BU and a historian, endorsed the
Commission`s report and also talked about religious
conversions in the State.
The Governor said a decision on clearing his name for an
honorary degree was withheld to "check his antecedents" and
"to verify" and ensure that he (Bhardwaj) does not get
involved in any controversy as Head of the state.
"I have held it (back) temporarily," he said.
Bhardwaj said he is not disputing the fact that Murthy
may be a good writer, thinker and scholar. But, ".....at
this critical juncture, when the entire Christian community is
upset that no justice has been done to them (in the Commission
report), at least my duty is to look after them (Christians)".
He said there is a newspaper report stating that Murthy
justified the Commission report and talked about conversions.
"I don`t see any conversion in the State", Bhardwaj said.
Murthy said he was shocked by the Governor`s decision and
asserted that he never justified the attacks. He said the
Governor has been misled by somebody to believe that he
(Murthy) is pro-RSS and pro-BJP.
"Attacks on places of worship, whether it`s a church or
temple is wrong. The Governor`s decision is not right. He has
to realise it," Murthy reacted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video