Church attacks: HR Bhardwaj slams judicial commission report
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj on Sunday said he is "disturbed" by the Justice B K Somasekhara
Commission report on the church attacks of 2008 in the state
as the entire Christain community thinks that "no justice has
been done to them".
Bhardwaj said he has received a synopsis of the report and
not a full copy. "And I am disturbed about it," he told
He was responding to questions on his withholding
Bangalore University`s (BU) proposal to confer an honorary
degree on noted Kannada writer M Chidananda Murthy, which has
generated a controversy.
Bhardwaj, Chancellor of the universities in the state,
justified his decision to "temporarily withhold" the proposal,
saying a newspaper report has stated that Murthy, a former
Professor of Kannada at BU and a historian, endorsed the
Commission`s report and also talked about religious
conversions in the State.
The Governor said a decision on clearing his name for an
honorary degree was withheld to "check his antecedents" and
"to verify" and ensure that he (Bhardwaj) does not get
involved in any controversy as Head of the state.
"I have held it (back) temporarily," he said.
Bhardwaj said he is not disputing the fact that Murthy
may be a good writer, thinker and scholar. But, ".....at
this critical juncture, when the entire Christian community is
upset that no justice has been done to them (in the Commission
report), at least my duty is to look after them (Christians)".
He said there is a newspaper report stating that Murthy
justified the Commission report and talked about conversions.
"I don`t see any conversion in the State", Bhardwaj said.
Murthy said he was shocked by the Governor`s decision and
asserted that he never justified the attacks. He said the
Governor has been misled by somebody to believe that he
(Murthy) is pro-RSS and pro-BJP.
"Attacks on places of worship, whether it`s a church or
temple is wrong. The Governor`s decision is not right. He has
to realise it," Murthy reacted.
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Bharti Airtel Q4 net up 2.8% to Rs 1,290 crore; revenue up 8.4% to Rs 24,960 crore
- Trupti Desai writes letter to Mohan Bhagwat, demands equal representation of women in RSS
- Panama Papers' database to go public on May 9
- Buddhadeb, Rahul share stage, call for saving West Bengal from TMC
- Must Read! Narayana Murthy's heartfelt letter to his daughter will make you miss your dad