Clean chit to K`taka Home Min in land scam case
Bangalore: Karnataka Home Minister R Ashok was
on Friday given a clean chit by Lokayukta police before a court in a case pertaining to alleged misuse of office in land denotification.
The Lokayukta police submitted a report to Lokayukta Judge N Sundhindra Rao, exonerating the minister of the charge into which it had ordered a probe, based on a complaint by an RTI activist.
Lokayukta police submitted that it was the fault of the
land owner and sub-registrar, and not Ashok, for registering
the property, which the minister had bought after it was
notified by Bangalore Development Authority (BDA).
As per law, BDA notified land cannot be sold and
sub-registrars should not facilitate any such sale, it
"Hence the Home Minister cannot be faulted for buying
notified land," Lokayukta police said.
Moreover, Lokayukta police said the original land owner,
not Ashok, gave a letter to former Chief Minister B S
Yeddyurappa, asking for denotification of the land.
After the report was submitted, the judge directed RTI
activist Jayakumar Hiremath to file his objections and posted
the hearing to January 6.
Hiremath had filed the complaint accusing Ashoka of being
involved in illegal denotification of government land, causing
an estimated loss of Rs 50 crore to the state exchequer.
He had alleged the minister had secured denotification of
23.12 guntas (a gunta is 1/40 of an acre) of land belonging to
Bangalore Development Authority when B S Yeddyurappa was the
The activist, however, has said he would move the Supreme
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price