CM cancels MLAs study tour
Bellary: Facing public outcry over legislators undertaking a foreign trip when the state is hit by drought, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Tuesday ordered cancellation of an overseas "study" tour by a legislature committee and asked them to return.
"The foreign tour by MLAs has been cancelled. The first batch of MLAs who are currently touring in a foreign country has been asked to return," Shettar, who came under attack from opposition parties over the MLAs foreign trip told reporters here.
The members of the Public Undertaking Committee of the state legislature are visiting Argentina and other parts on a study tour at the expense of the state exchequer.
Another group of 12 members of the Estimates Committee headed by BJP MLA Abhay Patil was scheduled to fly to Russia and Europe on September 26, which has now been put on hold.
Former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa had last week slammed the MLAs for their foreign trip and asked them to return immediately.
He had also said people of their respective constituencies would teach them a lesson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees