CM cancels MLAs study tour
Bellary: Facing public outcry over legislators undertaking a foreign trip when the state is hit by drought, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Tuesday ordered cancellation of an overseas "study" tour by a legislature committee and asked them to return.
"The foreign tour by MLAs has been cancelled. The first batch of MLAs who are currently touring in a foreign country has been asked to return," Shettar, who came under attack from opposition parties over the MLAs foreign trip told reporters here.
The members of the Public Undertaking Committee of the state legislature are visiting Argentina and other parts on a study tour at the expense of the state exchequer.
Another group of 12 members of the Estimates Committee headed by BJP MLA Abhay Patil was scheduled to fly to Russia and Europe on September 26, which has now been put on hold.
Former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa had last week slammed the MLAs for their foreign trip and asked them to return immediately.
He had also said people of their respective constituencies would teach them a lesson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog