CM cancels MLAs study tour
Bellary: Facing public outcry over legislators undertaking a foreign trip when the state is hit by drought, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Tuesday ordered cancellation of an overseas "study" tour by a legislature committee and asked them to return.
"The foreign tour by MLAs has been cancelled. The first batch of MLAs who are currently touring in a foreign country has been asked to return," Shettar, who came under attack from opposition parties over the MLAs foreign trip told reporters here.
The members of the Public Undertaking Committee of the state legislature are visiting Argentina and other parts on a study tour at the expense of the state exchequer.
Another group of 12 members of the Estimates Committee headed by BJP MLA Abhay Patil was scheduled to fly to Russia and Europe on September 26, which has now been put on hold.
Former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa had last week slammed the MLAs for their foreign trip and asked them to return immediately.
He had also said people of their respective constituencies would teach them a lesson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Head constable arrested for taking bribe
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016