CM to inaugurate Mangalore Dasara at Kudroli temple
Mangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah would inaugurate the `Mangalore Dasara` celebrations at the Kudroli temple premises near here on September 27.
This was stated by former Union Minister and chief patron of the temple Janardhan Poojary in a release here today.
The Mangalore Dasara was being celebrated at the temple for the past two decades under the guidance of Poojary, who played a key role in renovating the temple in 1991.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi had inaugurated Mangalore Dasara in 2012 and 2013. Many of the temples in the city including Sri Mangaladevi Temple celebrate Navaratri, but the festival at Kudroli Temple has its own significance as it is being celebrated as `Mangalore Dasara`.
A huge number of devotees and tourists throng Kudroli temple to witness the installation of Navadurge and Mahaganapathi idols during the festival. A colourful Dasara procession held annually marks the end of ten-day festival at Kudroli Temple.
Spiritual leader and social reformer from Kerala Sree Narayana Guru, who fought for the entry of all sections of people into temples, had consecrated the `Shivalinga` at Kudroli temple in 1912, when backward communities and Dalits were denied entry into temples.
The Kudroli temple was later renovated and inaugurated by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on February 8, 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state