CM to inaugurate Mangalore Dasara at Kudroli temple
Mangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah would inaugurate the `Mangalore Dasara` celebrations at the Kudroli temple premises near here on September 27.
This was stated by former Union Minister and chief patron of the temple Janardhan Poojary in a release here today.
The Mangalore Dasara was being celebrated at the temple for the past two decades under the guidance of Poojary, who played a key role in renovating the temple in 1991.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi had inaugurated Mangalore Dasara in 2012 and 2013. Many of the temples in the city including Sri Mangaladevi Temple celebrate Navaratri, but the festival at Kudroli Temple has its own significance as it is being celebrated as `Mangalore Dasara`.
A huge number of devotees and tourists throng Kudroli temple to witness the installation of Navadurge and Mahaganapathi idols during the festival. A colourful Dasara procession held annually marks the end of ten-day festival at Kudroli Temple.
Spiritual leader and social reformer from Kerala Sree Narayana Guru, who fought for the entry of all sections of people into temples, had consecrated the `Shivalinga` at Kudroli temple in 1912, when backward communities and Dalits were denied entry into temples.
The Kudroli temple was later renovated and inaugurated by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on February 8, 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights