CM to inaugurate Mangalore Dasara at Kudroli temple
Mangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah would inaugurate the `Mangalore Dasara` celebrations at the Kudroli temple premises near here on September 27.
This was stated by former Union Minister and chief patron of the temple Janardhan Poojary in a release here today.
The Mangalore Dasara was being celebrated at the temple for the past two decades under the guidance of Poojary, who played a key role in renovating the temple in 1991.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi had inaugurated Mangalore Dasara in 2012 and 2013. Many of the temples in the city including Sri Mangaladevi Temple celebrate Navaratri, but the festival at Kudroli Temple has its own significance as it is being celebrated as `Mangalore Dasara`.
A huge number of devotees and tourists throng Kudroli temple to witness the installation of Navadurge and Mahaganapathi idols during the festival. A colourful Dasara procession held annually marks the end of ten-day festival at Kudroli Temple.
Spiritual leader and social reformer from Kerala Sree Narayana Guru, who fought for the entry of all sections of people into temples, had consecrated the `Shivalinga` at Kudroli temple in 1912, when backward communities and Dalits were denied entry into temples.
The Kudroli temple was later renovated and inaugurated by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on February 8, 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth