Communal violence claims one life in Belgaum
Belgaum: One person was killed and another injured in communal violence in the city following which ban orders have been clamped, police said on Monday.
A 28-year old man and another person were attacked late last night following an altercation between two groups of people over bursting of crackers in front of a place of worship here, Belgaum SP Sandeep Patil told a news agency here.
They were admitted to a hospital where one of them succumbed to head injuries, Patil said.
He said 28 people have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Patil said Section 144 CrPc has been clamped in the entire city and all schools and colleges have been closed till further orders.
"The situation is under control. No fresh incident has been reported from anywhere in the city. Elaborate security arrangements have been made," Patil said.
Additional police force from neigbouring Hubli had been deployed. Besides, a company of Rapid Action Force would also be pressed into security duty, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore