Communal violence claims one life in Belgaum
Belgaum: One person was killed and another injured in communal violence in the city following which ban orders have been clamped, police said on Monday.
A 28-year old man and another person were attacked late last night following an altercation between two groups of people over bursting of crackers in front of a place of worship here, Belgaum SP Sandeep Patil told a news agency here.
They were admitted to a hospital where one of them succumbed to head injuries, Patil said.
He said 28 people have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Patil said Section 144 CrPc has been clamped in the entire city and all schools and colleges have been closed till further orders.
"The situation is under control. No fresh incident has been reported from anywhere in the city. Elaborate security arrangements have been made," Patil said.
Additional police force from neigbouring Hubli had been deployed. Besides, a company of Rapid Action Force would also be pressed into security duty, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured