Communal violence claims one life in Belgaum
Belgaum: One person was killed and another injured in communal violence in the city following which ban orders have been clamped, police said on Monday.
A 28-year old man and another person were attacked late last night following an altercation between two groups of people over bursting of crackers in front of a place of worship here, Belgaum SP Sandeep Patil told a news agency here.
They were admitted to a hospital where one of them succumbed to head injuries, Patil said.
He said 28 people have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Patil said Section 144 CrPc has been clamped in the entire city and all schools and colleges have been closed till further orders.
"The situation is under control. No fresh incident has been reported from anywhere in the city. Elaborate security arrangements have been made," Patil said.
Additional police force from neigbouring Hubli had been deployed. Besides, a company of Rapid Action Force would also be pressed into security duty, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!