Communal violence claims one life in Belgaum
Belgaum: One person was killed and another injured in communal violence in the city following which ban orders have been clamped, police said on Monday.
A 28-year old man and another person were attacked late last night following an altercation between two groups of people over bursting of crackers in front of a place of worship here, Belgaum SP Sandeep Patil told a news agency here.
They were admitted to a hospital where one of them succumbed to head injuries, Patil said.
He said 28 people have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Patil said Section 144 CrPc has been clamped in the entire city and all schools and colleges have been closed till further orders.
"The situation is under control. No fresh incident has been reported from anywhere in the city. Elaborate security arrangements have been made," Patil said.
Additional police force from neigbouring Hubli had been deployed. Besides, a company of Rapid Action Force would also be pressed into security duty, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report