Complaint of physical assault filed against Nithyananda
Bidadi: A police complaint of physical assault and threat to life was filed against the controversial self styled godman Nithyananda and four of his followers on Thursday, police said.
The complaint was filed by a reporter of a regional channel, police sources said.
"The complaint has just been filed and after verifying the facts, we will be registering an FIR", Ramanagara Superintendent of Police Anupam Agarwal said.
In his complaint, the reporter had alleged that during a press conference convened by Nithyananda at his ashram in the backdrop charges of sexual abuse levelled against him by a woman in a recent interview to the regional channel, when he questioned Nithyananda whether he had received any summons in this regard from a US court (as the woman was a US resident), he denied and upon the reporter showing that he had a copy of the summons, a heated argument followed resulting in Nithyananda asking his followers to send the scribe out.
Even after he was sent out the reporter in his complaint alleged that there was verbal altercation between him and Nithyananda followers with some of them allegedly assaulted him physically and threatened him.
Later, some activists belonging to a local outfit "Nava Nirmana Sene" also staged a protest in front of the ashram demanding justice.
During the press conference, Nithyananda claimed that sexual abuse allegation levelled against him by a woman as "false and baseless" and demanded CBI probe into it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report