Cong, BJP betrayed Dalits: Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: JDS leader and former Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy on Sunday alleged that Congress and BJP governments had betrayed dalits and were responsible for their poor plight even after 65 years of independence.
Congress had "systematically thrown" dalit leaders like Ramvilas Paswan, he said at a Dalit Convention organised by JDS at Tumkur, some 70 kms away from here.
He also accused BJP for reducing its former national president Bangaru Laxman a political non-entity after he was accused of receiving a kickback of Rs 2 lakh as party fund.
However, the BJP has not taken any serious action against BJP strong man B S Yeddyurappa even after facing corruption charges, Kumaraswamy alleged.
Launching a tirade against BJP government in the state, Kumaraswamy said the decision to waive crops loans up to a maximum of Rs 25,000 was not taken due to the concern for farmers, but due to the `rising popularity` of JDS among farmers.
He announced launching of an agitation demanding implementation of job reservation for SC and ST communities in private sector.
Kumaraswamy said the reservation in jobs guaranteed in Indian constitution for SC and ST communities is being eroded due to depleting job opportunities in government organizations in the era of privatization and globalization.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information