Cong eyes influential Lingayat community in Karnataka
New Delhi: Seeking to woo the influential Lingayat community ahead of Karnataka Assembly elections, Congress on Wednesday appointed Veerana A Mathikatti, a prominent Lingayat leader from north Karnataka as head of the party`s Campaign Committee.
Former Minister D K Shivakumar, a close associate of senior leader S M Krishna, has been made Co-Chairman of the Committee.
Ramesh Kumar K R, former Chairman of the Legislative Assembly, was made Chairman of the Manifesto Committee. AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi made the announcement.
Mathikatti, a former Chairman of the state Legislative Council, hails from north Karnataka, a region from where Chief Minister Jagdish Shettar, also a Lingayat, comes from.
Congress is seeking to attract the Lingayats, an influential community in the state, after parting of ways by B S Yedyurappa from BJP. Yeddyurappa is known as the most prominent leader from the community.
Party chief Sonia Gandhi had visited Siddhaganga Math, which has considerable influence among Lingayats, last year.
Elections in Karnataka are due by June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave