Cong eyes influential Lingayat community in Karnataka
New Delhi: Seeking to woo the influential Lingayat community ahead of Karnataka Assembly elections, Congress on Wednesday appointed Veerana A Mathikatti, a prominent Lingayat leader from north Karnataka as head of the party`s Campaign Committee.
Former Minister D K Shivakumar, a close associate of senior leader S M Krishna, has been made Co-Chairman of the Committee.
Ramesh Kumar K R, former Chairman of the Legislative Assembly, was made Chairman of the Manifesto Committee. AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi made the announcement.
Mathikatti, a former Chairman of the state Legislative Council, hails from north Karnataka, a region from where Chief Minister Jagdish Shettar, also a Lingayat, comes from.
Congress is seeking to attract the Lingayats, an influential community in the state, after parting of ways by B S Yedyurappa from BJP. Yeddyurappa is known as the most prominent leader from the community.
Party chief Sonia Gandhi had visited Siddhaganga Math, which has considerable influence among Lingayats, last year.
Elections in Karnataka are due by June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report