Cong govt dividing school children on caste, communal lines: BJP
Bangalore: The BJP on Thursday alleged that the Congress Government in Karnataka is dividing school children on caste and communal lines by organising study tours for students belonging to other backward classes and minority community only.
The state Government issued an order on November six directing district authorities to organise the study tour -- Karnataka Darshan - for students belonging to OBCs and minority community in government schools.
About 9,000 students, 300 from each district, would be selected for the tour which would cost Rs 3.15 crore to the State exchequer.
BJP MLA, former Minister and party spokesperson S Suresh Kumar alleged that the Siddaramaiah government was sowing seeds of caste and communalism among school children by identifying children on the basis of caste and community for study tours.
"On what grounds students from other castes and communities have been left out", he asked, demanding immediate withdrawal of the order which, he termed, "anti-social".
The order issued by the Tourism Department headed by Minister R V Deshpande was against the spirit of equality and principles of the Constitution, Suresh Kumar said.
"The Congress which preaches secularism should select students from all communities and castes for the tour", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical