Cong govt dividing school children on caste, communal lines: BJP
Bangalore: The BJP on Thursday alleged that the Congress Government in Karnataka is dividing school children on caste and communal lines by organising study tours for students belonging to other backward classes and minority community only.
The state Government issued an order on November six directing district authorities to organise the study tour -- Karnataka Darshan - for students belonging to OBCs and minority community in government schools.
About 9,000 students, 300 from each district, would be selected for the tour which would cost Rs 3.15 crore to the State exchequer.
BJP MLA, former Minister and party spokesperson S Suresh Kumar alleged that the Siddaramaiah government was sowing seeds of caste and communalism among school children by identifying children on the basis of caste and community for study tours.
"On what grounds students from other castes and communities have been left out", he asked, demanding immediate withdrawal of the order which, he termed, "anti-social".
The order issued by the Tourism Department headed by Minister R V Deshpande was against the spirit of equality and principles of the Constitution, Suresh Kumar said.
"The Congress which preaches secularism should select students from all communities and castes for the tour", he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani