Cong govt dividing school children on caste, communal lines: BJP
Bangalore: The BJP on Thursday alleged that the Congress Government in Karnataka is dividing school children on caste and communal lines by organising study tours for students belonging to other backward classes and minority community only.
The state Government issued an order on November six directing district authorities to organise the study tour -- Karnataka Darshan - for students belonging to OBCs and minority community in government schools.
About 9,000 students, 300 from each district, would be selected for the tour which would cost Rs 3.15 crore to the State exchequer.
BJP MLA, former Minister and party spokesperson S Suresh Kumar alleged that the Siddaramaiah government was sowing seeds of caste and communalism among school children by identifying children on the basis of caste and community for study tours.
"On what grounds students from other castes and communities have been left out", he asked, demanding immediate withdrawal of the order which, he termed, "anti-social".
The order issued by the Tourism Department headed by Minister R V Deshpande was against the spirit of equality and principles of the Constitution, Suresh Kumar said.
"The Congress which preaches secularism should select students from all communities and castes for the tour", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says