Cong, JDS set to corner BJP as winter session begins Wednesday
Belgaum: The political storm faced by ruling BJP after chief minister BS Yeddyurappa quit the party, the drought situation and garbage problem in Bangalore are among a host of issues expected to figure in the winter session of Karnataka Legislature, beginning here on Wednesday.
This is the first session being held at the newly constructed Rs 400 crore Suvarna Vidhana Soudha, the second legislature wing in the state.
Congress and JDS is all set to corner the Chief Minister Jagadish-Shettar-led government on several issues including its "failure" to manage the acute drought condition in about 152 taluks out of 176, spate of murders in Bangalore city and Cauvery water sharing row.
Even after the High Court rapped the government, the administration and Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP-city corporation), ruled by BJP, have not been able to find a solution to the garbage problem.
The internal problems dogging BJP in the wake of exit by Yeddyurappa and several ministers and legislators supporting him would cast its spell on the six-day session.
It is not clear whether Congress, which had earlier announced plans to move a no-confidence motion against the government, will stick to its stand.
The inertia that has gripped the administration is also expected to be debated during the session.
The initial opposition by government to the proposed Constitution amendment bill granting special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region and its U-turn is also likely to come up for debate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list