Cong, JDS slam BJP Govt for releasing Cauvery wate
Bangalore: The opposition Congress in Karnataka Assembly charged the government on Monday with failure on the "Cauvery legal battle" and pushed for replacing eminent lawyer Fali S Nariman, representing the state on the river dispute with Tamil Nadu for long.
The BJP Government faced fire from the Congress and the JDS for releasing Cauvery water in compliance with the February 7 Supreme Court order before staging a walk-out.
Defending the water release, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and Water Resources Minister Basavaraja Bommai said, it was done after Nariman told the government to first comply with the court`s order of releasing 2.44 tmc ft to Tamil Nadu, arguing that such a move will in fact bolster the case of the state, which is set to file a review petition before the apex court.
Siddaramaiah (Congress) argued that Supreme Court orders in recent times on the Cauvery issue appeared to be only based on "Tamil Nadu`s arguments" and alleged that it`s clear that the state has lost its legal battle as far as the Cauvery issue was concerned.
"Change the lawyer. Nariman is not the only one; there are better lawyers in this country", he said to which, Bommai pointed that the senior counsel had been representing the state for the past 27-28 years.
Accusing the government for trying to `stick to power`, Siddaramaiah said the Government should not have released water and should have faced consequences.
"They (Tamil Nadu) are demanding water for crop; we need it for drinking, he said."
H C Balakrishna (JDS) slammed "lack of political will" on the Cauvery issue and warned that the government will face people`s ire on the streets.
Shettar said, he was ready to "sacrifice" power or go to jail by defying the Supreme Court and earning contempt of court, if they were solutions. He noted, in a federal structure, states are bound by Supreme Court orders.
Shettar and Bommai accused the opposition parties of trying to politicise the issue. Bommai said when the Congress and JDS were in power, there were instances of releasing Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu clandestinely as also earning contempt of court.
Siddaramaiah warned that Bangalore, Mysore and towns in the Cauvery basin will face severe drinking water shortage in the summer, and alleged that the government has betrayed the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe