Cong MLA in Karnataka quits, party alleges poaching
Bangalore: An opposition Congress MLA in
Karnataka on Tuesday resigned from the House, after which the
party`s top leaders staged a sit-in protest in front of Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s house here accusing the ruling BJP
of engineering poaching.
The police broke up the sit-in by taking into custody 70
Congress leaders, including former chief minister
Siddharamaiah and PCC President R V Deshpande, some MLAs and
other party workers.
The Congress leaders were in the midst of a meeting at a
five-star hotel when the news of the resignation of party MLA
S V Ramachandra reached them.
The leaders adjourned the meeting, went to the chief
minister`s official residence and staged the sit-in shouting
Jagalur MLA Ramachandra submitted his resignation to
Speaker K G Bopaiah.
However, when the Speaker`s office did not respond to
Congress` plea for a clarification, the party leaders led by
Siddaramaiah and Dehspande staged the dharna in front of the
Accusing BJP of reviving "operation lotus" to lure MLAs
from opposition, Siddharamaiah alleged the Yeddyurappa
government was mired in scams and warned if BJP tried poach
Congress MLAs the ruling party has to face serious
BJP has been luring Congress and JD(S) MLAs in a bid to
give stability to its government in the wake of uncertainty
that loomed large over it after sixteen rebels, including 11
saffron legislators, challenged their disqualification as
members of the Assembly by Bopaiah. The issue is pending
before the state high court.
Meanwhile, the Speaker`s office evaded a response on the
issue of Ramachandra`s resignation letter.
Home minister R Ashok flayed the Congress protest
outside the chief minister`s house and accused oppositiion
parties of holding eleven BJP MLAs hostage.
State BJP President K S Eswarappa, who had two days ago
given a call to leaders of others parties to join his party,
sought to distance from the reported resignation by
"We have no role in it", Eswarappa said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read