Cong putting together high-voltage campaign in Kar
Bangalore: Congress in Karnataka is putting together a high-voltage campaign for the May five assembly polls, with Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan slated to address public meetings even as it is set to unleash celebrity power.
Congress Campaign committee today held a meeting chaired by Veeranna Mathikatti and discussed the strategy. Mathikatti said party President Sonia Gandhi, Vice-President Rahul Gandhi and Singh would address public rallies.
The party would field popular Kannada actors Darshan, Ramya and Bhavana, who is a member of the committee, to woo the voters, besides Kannada film veteran Ambareesh who is also a contender for the assembly ticket, party sources said.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee premises became a venue for protests as well as celebrations. Though the party is yet to officially announce the list, supporters of those who are believed to have got the ticket were in cheerful mood. Loyalists of those who feared they lost out held noisy demonstrations.
"There are so many contenders and we can`t satisfy everybody. It`s normal for those who fail to get ticket to protest. Congress workers would not work against the party and the candidates", said the Leader of Opposition in the assembly Siddaramaiah said while seeking to downplay the protests.
Both Congress and ruling BJP are expected to announce their first list of candidates later this week. The first day of filing nominations is on April ten.
There was speculation over whether Ministers Umesh Katti, Murugesh Nirani and V Somanna would quit BJP and join B S Yeddyurappa`s Karnataka Janatha Paksha (KJP). Katti made it clear in Belgaum today he would contest on a BJP ticket. "The rumours that I will join KJP is the creation of the media".
There were indications from Nirani and Somanna today that they would remain in the ruling party.
Meanwhile, BJP MLA from Lingasagur, Manappa Vajjal, quit the party today to join JD(S). He would contest the election on a JD(S) ticket.
JD(S) MLA from Maddur Kalpana Siddaraju quit the party today after she was denied a ticket. She has now sought a ticket from the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?