Cong to fight Karnataka polls under collective leadership: Kharge
Bangalore: Indicating that Congress would not project any chief ministerial candidate in Karnataka Assembly elections due in May, Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge on Wednesday said they would fight the polls under collective leadership.
Congress would face the election under a collective leadership and the party high command would decide the Chief Minister after winning the polls, Kharge, one of the potential candidates for the top post, told reporters here.
Kharge, however, sidestepped a question whether he was in the race for the chief minister`s post, saying "First we should all work towards bringing the party back to power. The Congress is out of power in Karnataka for more than six years", he said.
The state Congress has several contenders for the prime post including Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly Siddaramaiah and KPCC President G Parameshwar. Former External Affairs Minister S M Krishna`s exit from the union cabinet has fuelled speculations about his future role.
Kharge claimed people were "disillusioned" with the BJP Government as it was immersed in internal bickering and neglected the state`s development.
"The Congress will bring the administrative failures of BJP Government, its mudslinging activities to the people`s notice and seek a mandate for party", he said at the meet organised by the Bangalore Reporters` Guild and Press Club of Bangalore.
He said the state party unit would decide on admitting leaders from other political parties ahead of the election in the wake of some leaders evincing interest to join Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow