Cong warns Jagan of disciplinary action if yatra resumes
New Delhi: Taking a tough stand, the
Congress high command on Saturday warned rebel party MP Y S Jagan
Mohan Reddy of disciplinary action if he goes ahead with his
controversial yatra in Andhra Pradesh.
The warning has been given by senior leader Pranab
Mukherjee to Jagan, son of the late Chief Minister Y S
Rajsekhar Reddy, ahead of his plan to start the "Odarpu Yatra"
from Prakasam district on September three, sources close to
Jagan, a known critic of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K
Rosaiah, had met Mukherjee twice during the past one week.
The warning to Jagan came amidst reports that the party
leadership had asked its legislators in Andhra Pradesh to stay
away from Jagan`s yatra.
This is for the first time that Jagan has been issued
such a stern warning by the high command since he had embarked
on the yatra in May defying the top party leadership.
The Congress leadership sees Jagan`s yatra as an attempt
by the young MP to mobilize the support of legislators to
topple the Rosaiah government.
Andhra Pradesh is the biggest state where Congress is in
power on its own and the good showing there has helped the
party to return to power at the Centre in 2004 and 2009.
Jagan plans to address a public meeting at Tirupati on
September 2, the first death anniversary of YSR. The next day,
he is expected to launch the yatra in Prakasam district.
Supporters of Jagan claim his yatra was aimed at
consoling the families of those who died of shock following
his father`s death in a helicopter crash last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown