Cong warns Jagan of disciplinary action if yatra resumes
New Delhi: Taking a tough stand, the
Congress high command on Saturday warned rebel party MP Y S Jagan
Mohan Reddy of disciplinary action if he goes ahead with his
controversial yatra in Andhra Pradesh.
The warning has been given by senior leader Pranab
Mukherjee to Jagan, son of the late Chief Minister Y S
Rajsekhar Reddy, ahead of his plan to start the "Odarpu Yatra"
from Prakasam district on September three, sources close to
Jagan, a known critic of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K
Rosaiah, had met Mukherjee twice during the past one week.
The warning to Jagan came amidst reports that the party
leadership had asked its legislators in Andhra Pradesh to stay
away from Jagan`s yatra.
This is for the first time that Jagan has been issued
such a stern warning by the high command since he had embarked
on the yatra in May defying the top party leadership.
The Congress leadership sees Jagan`s yatra as an attempt
by the young MP to mobilize the support of legislators to
topple the Rosaiah government.
Andhra Pradesh is the biggest state where Congress is in
power on its own and the good showing there has helped the
party to return to power at the Centre in 2004 and 2009.
Jagan plans to address a public meeting at Tirupati on
September 2, the first death anniversary of YSR. The next day,
he is expected to launch the yatra in Prakasam district.
Supporters of Jagan claim his yatra was aimed at
consoling the families of those who died of shock following
his father`s death in a helicopter crash last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark