Cong wins Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka
Bangalore: Ruling Congress candidate K Venkatesh on Friday won the elections to Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka, defeating JDS nominee K Mahadev by 2,088 votes.
The former Minister polled 62,045 votes and Mahadev secured 59,957, as results were declared after counting today, official sources said.
The poll in this segment in Mysore, the home district of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, was postponed to May 28 from May five, when elections to all other constituencies were held, following the death of BJP candidate Sannamoge Gowda on April 29.
With this victory, the Congress tally in the 224-member Karnataka Assembly increased to 122, while the JDS and BJP have a strength of 40 members each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city