Cong wins Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka
Bangalore: Ruling Congress candidate K Venkatesh on Friday won the elections to Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka, defeating JDS nominee K Mahadev by 2,088 votes.
The former Minister polled 62,045 votes and Mahadev secured 59,957, as results were declared after counting today, official sources said.
The poll in this segment in Mysore, the home district of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, was postponed to May 28 from May five, when elections to all other constituencies were held, following the death of BJP candidate Sannamoge Gowda on April 29.
With this victory, the Congress tally in the 224-member Karnataka Assembly increased to 122, while the JDS and BJP have a strength of 40 members each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people