Cong wins Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka
Bangalore: Ruling Congress candidate K Venkatesh on Friday won the elections to Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka, defeating JDS nominee K Mahadev by 2,088 votes.
The former Minister polled 62,045 votes and Mahadev secured 59,957, as results were declared after counting today, official sources said.
The poll in this segment in Mysore, the home district of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, was postponed to May 28 from May five, when elections to all other constituencies were held, following the death of BJP candidate Sannamoge Gowda on April 29.
With this victory, the Congress tally in the 224-member Karnataka Assembly increased to 122, while the JDS and BJP have a strength of 40 members each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka