Cong wins Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka
Bangalore: Ruling Congress candidate K Venkatesh on Friday won the elections to Periyapatna Assembly seat in Karnataka, defeating JDS nominee K Mahadev by 2,088 votes.
The former Minister polled 62,045 votes and Mahadev secured 59,957, as results were declared after counting today, official sources said.
The poll in this segment in Mysore, the home district of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, was postponed to May 28 from May five, when elections to all other constituencies were held, following the death of BJP candidate Sannamoge Gowda on April 29.
With this victory, the Congress tally in the 224-member Karnataka Assembly increased to 122, while the JDS and BJP have a strength of 40 members each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Israel says Erez crossing into Gaza to reopen
- Czech Republic OKs 'Czechia' as one-word version of its name
- Officials involved in water tanker scam in drought-hit Maharashtra's Beed suspended
- 37-year-old trader shot dead near Seelampur metro station in Delhi
- Uttarakhand Speaker rejects disqualification of rebel BJP MLA