Congress `conspiracy` behind membership cancellation: Pramod Muthalik
Belgaum: Controversial chief of right wing outfit Sri Ram Sene, Pramod Muthalik, on Monday claimed it was Congress` "conspiracy" that had stalled his entry into BJP, which quashed his party membership within hours after opposition from within and severe flak from other parties.
"It is a Congress conspiracy. There was a lot of enthusiasm among the majority community after I joined BJP. Congress conspired and stalled my entry into the BJP as their leaders realised my hold among Hindu votes," he told reporters here.
Muthalik, who is facing some 45 cases, including those relating to promoting enmity between two communities, was welcomed into the party fold yesterday and hours later dumped following severe flak from within the BJP and opposition parties, including Congress.
A red-faced BJP central leadership had set aside the membership of Muthalik, linked with the attack by his outfit activists on women in a Mangalore pub in 2009 that had sparked national outrage, as the state leaders` move backfired.
In spite of the "unfortunate development", Muthalik said Ram Sene and its leaders will work toward strengthening BJP from outside. "Once we have accepted each other, there is no point in parting ways," he said.
Muthalik said he was hurt by BJP`s "hasty" decision, which was taken after somebody gave a wrong impression about Sri Ram Sene and his leadership.
"Somebody has given wrong information to them. So, in this backdrop, they took a decision. They sould not have taken such a hasty decison. This has hurt my feelings," he said.
51-year-old Muthalik had shot into the limelight after activists of his right-wing outfit barged into a pub in Mangalore in 2009 and assaulted youngsters - women and men - after accusing them of behaving in an "obscene manner".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside