Congress corporator hacked to death in Bangalore
Bangalore: A Bangalore city corporator S Nataraj of the Congress was hacked to death in broad daylight at a busy traffic junction in Malleshwaram in the northern part of the city on Saturday, police said.
Nataraj, 46, was riding a two-wheeler when a group of people accosted him and brutally attacked him with sickles and iron rods, Bangalore city police commissioner BG Jyothiprakash Mirji told reporters.
Nataraj represented the Gandhinagar ward in central part of city in the BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike or Greater Bangalore City Corporation).
The attack took place around 11.30 am at the busy Malleshwaram Circle.
A profusely bleeding Nataraj was rushed to a government hospital, about 200 metres away by passersby. The corporator died in the hospital, Mirji said.
The attackers escaped in a car. Based on the registration number given by eyewitnesses, police are trying to trace it, he said.
Police said they were ascertaining whether Nataraj had any criminal record to find out whether the attack was due to personal enmity or for political reasons.
Nataraj is survived by his wife and son.
Congress assembly member from Gandhinagar area Dinesh Gundu Rao said Nataraj had no criminal record and called for security to elected representatives.
Nataraj is the second BBMP corporator to meet a violent death in the city this year.
In January, Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) corporator Divan Ali, 35, was shot dead in a busy south Bangalore area.
Ali, who had several criminal cases against him, was fired upon at Yarabnagar in Banashankari area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3