Congress eyes Lingayat community in Karnataka
New Delhi: Seeking to woo the influential Lingayat community ahead of Karnataka Assembly elections, Congress Wednesday appointed Veerana A Mathikatti, a prominent Lingayat leader from north Karnataka as head of the party`s Campaign Committee.
Former Minister D K Shivakumar, a close associate of senior leader S M Krishna, has been made Co-Chairman of the Committee.
Ramesh Kumar K R, former Chairman of the Legislative Assembly, was made Chairman of the Manifesto Committee. AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi made the announcement.
Mathikatti, a former Chairman of the state Legislative Council, hails from north Karnataka, a region from where Chief Minister Jagdish Shettar, also a Lingayat, comes from.
Congress is seeking to attract the Lingayats, an influential community in the state, after parting of ways by B S Yedyurappa from BJP. Yeddyurappa is known as the most prominent leader from the community.
Party chief Sonia Gandhi had visited Siddhaganga Math, which has considerable influence among Lingayats, last year.
Elections in Karnataka are due by June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured