Congress fields actress Ramya for Karnataka LS bypoll
Bangalore: Popular Kannada film actor Ramya on Saturday filed nomination papers as the Congress candidate for the August 21 bypoll to Mandya Lok Sabha seat from Karnataka.
She is pitted against former legislator CS Puttaraju of Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S), who filed his papers on Friday. Mandya is about 80km from Bangalore.
For the Bangalore Rural Lok Sabha seat, for which also bypoll is being held on August 21, the Congress has fielded DK Suresh, brother of party legislator and former minister DK Shivakumar.
Suresh will face Anita Kumaraswamy of JD-S. Anita is the wife of JDS state president and former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy.
Suresh and Anita filed their papers on Saturday.
Kumaraswamy is the son of JD-S president and former prime minister HD Deve Gowda.
Both the seats were held by the JD-S - Bangalore Rural by Kumaraswamy and Mandya by N Cheluvarayaswamy.
The two quit the Lok Sabha following their election to the State Assembly in the May 05 poll.
The two constituencies are considered to stronghold of JD-S and hence winning them is matter of prestige for both the ruling Congress and the JDS.
This is the first bypoll the Congress is facing after returning to power in Karnataka after defeating the Bharatiya Janata Party in the May 05 Assembly Elections.
The BJP, which has little presence in these parts of the state, has fielded local leaders.
Counting is on August 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof