Congress fields actress Ramya for Karnataka LS bypoll
Bangalore: Popular Kannada film actor Ramya on Saturday filed nomination papers as the Congress candidate for the August 21 bypoll to Mandya Lok Sabha seat from Karnataka.
She is pitted against former legislator CS Puttaraju of Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S), who filed his papers on Friday. Mandya is about 80km from Bangalore.
For the Bangalore Rural Lok Sabha seat, for which also bypoll is being held on August 21, the Congress has fielded DK Suresh, brother of party legislator and former minister DK Shivakumar.
Suresh will face Anita Kumaraswamy of JD-S. Anita is the wife of JDS state president and former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy.
Suresh and Anita filed their papers on Saturday.
Kumaraswamy is the son of JD-S president and former prime minister HD Deve Gowda.
Both the seats were held by the JD-S - Bangalore Rural by Kumaraswamy and Mandya by N Cheluvarayaswamy.
The two quit the Lok Sabha following their election to the State Assembly in the May 05 poll.
The two constituencies are considered to stronghold of JD-S and hence winning them is matter of prestige for both the ruling Congress and the JDS.
This is the first bypoll the Congress is facing after returning to power in Karnataka after defeating the Bharatiya Janata Party in the May 05 Assembly Elections.
The BJP, which has little presence in these parts of the state, has fielded local leaders.
Counting is on August 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani