Congress govt misused power for Rahul Gandhi meet, BJP alleges
Bangalore: Opposition BJP members in Karnataka Assembly on Thursday demanded strict action against a top IAS official for misusing government machinery to facilitate Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi`s interactive meeting with students in the state.
Raising the issue during zero hour, Opposition Leader Jagadish Shettar said action should be taken against Principal Secretary of education department for organising the event for a non-government functionary like Gandhi during his two-day visit to the state.
Shettar also alleged National Knowledge Commission Chief Sam Pitroda had asked the government to ensure support and bring students to Gandhi`s meeting.
These comments sparked off noisy scenes with ruling Congress and BJP members, engaging in exchange of words.
He demanded the government to institute an enquiry into the matter.
Countering Shettar`s allegations, Home Minister K J George said the previous BJP government too had misused government machinery to conduct Akhil Bhartiya Vidyhyarthi Parishad meetings.
Speaker Kagodu Thimmappa assured that he would ask the government to look into the allegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa