Congress padayatra reaches Bellary
Bellary: Targeting the BJP government over corruption charges, Congress on Monday concluded its 320-km long `padayatra`, dubbed as a show of strength by the opposition
party, in Bellary, a stronghold of Reddy brothers who have been facing allegations of illegal mining.
Congress workers donning white Gandhi caps and holding the tricolour gave a tumultuous welcome to party leaders and workers as they arrived here in the mine rich district.
A seven km long human chain was formed as the padayatra, which started on July 25 from Bangalore, reached the city for the rally, touted as a reply by Congress to the
challenge thrown by the three ministers and mining magnates - K Janaradhana Reddy and his brother Karunakara Reddy and their close associate R Sreeramulu, who had dared the Congress to step into their home turf.
The district stadium was bursting at the seams with thousands waiting patiently since early morning for the rally.
Congress leaders, including union ministers SM Krishna, M Mallikarjun Kharge, M Veerappa Moily and KH Muniyappa have arrived for the rally, marking a show of
strength by the party.
Hundreds of police personnel lined the streets, virtually turning Bellary into a fortress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?