Congress petitions Karnataka Governor for BJP govt dismissal
Bangalore: Congress in Karnataka on Saturday appealed to Governor HR Bhardwaj to dismiss the BJP government as it has been reduced to a "minority".
A KPCC delegation headed by its president G Parameshwara and Opposition leader in the State Assembly, Siddaramaiah, submitted a memorandum to the Governor urging him to recommend for dismissal of the Jagadish Shettar-led ministry invoking Article 356 of the Constitution.
"There is a constitutional crisis in Karnataka in the wake of BJP MLAs supporting BSR Congress floated by former minister B Sreeramulu and Karnataka Janata Party led by former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa," Parameshwara told reporters outside the Raj Bhavan.
The delegation also appealed to the Governor not to give assent to the Cow Slaughter Ban bill and also the Private Universities bill, he said.
Siddaramaiah said the Shettar government has no moral right to continue in office as it has lost majority. Fourteen MLAs have been openly supporting Yeddyurappa`s party and six BJP legislators are with BSR Congress, he said.
The Congress leader defended his party`s decision of not moving a no-confidence motion against the government, saying "unless we get the support of JDS and BJP rebels, such a motion will not succeed. Considering all these issues, we did not move the motion in the just concluded Assembly session".
He said the Governor told the delegation that he would look into legal and constitutional aspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo