Congress plans padayatra from Bangalore to Bellary
Bangalore: Upping its ante against the BJP
Government in Karnataka over illegal mining issue, Opposition
Congress today said it would undertake a protest `padayatra`
from here to Bellary after conclusion of on-going legislature
The state Congress, which has been attacking Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa for his "failure" to curb illegal
mining, plans to rope in some of its top leaders, including
Rahul Gandhi, for the padayatra.
"At the end of the 15-20 day padayatra, a rally will be
held in Bellary," Congress leader Siddaramaiah told reporters
after he led an indefinite dharna in the House after his
demand for a CBI probe into "illegal" mining was turned down
by the government.
The planned stir comes in the backdrop of Tourism
Minister G Janardhana Reddy challenging the Opposition parties
to "dare visit Bellary to agitate and they will be taught a
Siddaramaiah had responded that his party would stage a
protest in front of Reddy`s house, one of the mining magnets
of the state.
Meanwhile senior Congress leader Oscar Fernandes visited
the state assembly, where his party MLAs have been on a
night-long dharna and spoke to them.
Fernandes defended Congress demand for a CBI probe into
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint