Congress politicising Cauvery row: Karnataka Deputy CM
Bangalore: Hitting back at Congress for attacking the government over Cauvery issue, Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister KS Eshwarappa on Sunday accused it of politicising the matter and adopting double standards.
Defending the release of water to Tamil Nadu from September 12 to 19 as a goodwill gesture, he said the decision was taken after legal opinion.
He charged the Congress with politicising the issue by first welcoming the decision of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to release 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu.
"The Congress also supported Shettar over his walkout during the Cauvery River Authority (CRA) meeting, but now it is contending that he should have sat through the meeting. The Congress is resorting to double standards," Eshwarappa said.
Senior Congress leaders on Sunday had slammed the BJP Government for `committing` a series of lapses in presenting the state`s case before the Supreme Court and the Cauvery tribunal and trying to cover up its mistakes by blaming the Prime Minister, who heads the CRA.
If the Congress continued to play such "dirty politics", people of the state would teach a lesson to it, he said.
He also criticised the Prime Minister for not meeting Karnataka delegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray