Congress to go it alone in Karnataka
New Delhi: The Congress will fight the forthcoming assembly polls in Karnataka on its own, a senior party leader said Sunday.
Party general secretary Madhusudan Mistry, who is incharge of Karnataka, told IANS over phone that the party was in the process of finalizing its candidates for the assembly polls expected to take place in May.
Asked if the Congress will have any alliance for the assembly polls, he answered in the negative.
Mistry said the party`s preparations were proceeding well and expressed confidence of coming to power in the southern state where the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has been in power since 2008.
"We will win the polls... Hundred percent," he said.
He said the party will raise local issues during the elections and "expose the misgovernance" of the BJP government.
To a question about projecting a chief ministerial candidate in Karnataka, Mistry said that it was not the practice in Congress.
Party sources said several Congress leaders from the state were desirous of becoming the next chief minister amid speculation that party`s fortunes had brightened following troubles faced by the BJP following rebellion of former chief minister B. S. Yeddyurappa.
The term of the Karnataka assembly will come to an end June 3 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'