Congress wins Udupi Lok Sabha bypoll
Bangalore: In a setback to Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, the Congress Wednesday won the bypoll to the Udupi-Chikmagalur Lok Sabha seat in Karnataka with its nominee K Jayaprakash Hegde defeating the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party`s V Sunil Kumar.
Congress’ Hegde secured 3,98,723 votes as against 3,52,999 votes secured by BJP’s Kumar, a winning margin of over 50,000 votes.
Janata Dal-Secular nominee SL Bhoje Gowda was third with 72,080.
Around 68 percent of the 1.24 million eligible voters had cast their ballots in the bypoll caused by BJP`s DV Sadananda Gowda vacating the seat after becoming Chief Minister in August last year.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what