Congress wins Udupi Lok Sabha bypoll
Bangalore: In a setback to Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, the Congress Wednesday won the bypoll to the Udupi-Chikmagalur Lok Sabha seat in Karnataka with its nominee K Jayaprakash Hegde defeating the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party`s V Sunil Kumar.
Congress’ Hegde secured 3,98,723 votes as against 3,52,999 votes secured by BJP’s Kumar, a winning margin of over 50,000 votes.
Janata Dal-Secular nominee SL Bhoje Gowda was third with 72,080.
Around 68 percent of the 1.24 million eligible voters had cast their ballots in the bypoll caused by BJP`s DV Sadananda Gowda vacating the seat after becoming Chief Minister in August last year.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US