Congress wins Udupi Lok Sabha bypoll
Bangalore: In a setback to Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, the Congress Wednesday won the bypoll to the Udupi-Chikmagalur Lok Sabha seat in Karnataka with its nominee K Jayaprakash Hegde defeating the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party`s V Sunil Kumar.
Congress’ Hegde secured 3,98,723 votes as against 3,52,999 votes secured by BJP’s Kumar, a winning margin of over 50,000 votes.
Janata Dal-Secular nominee SL Bhoje Gowda was third with 72,080.
Around 68 percent of the 1.24 million eligible voters had cast their ballots in the bypoll caused by BJP`s DV Sadananda Gowda vacating the seat after becoming Chief Minister in August last year.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’