Congress wins Udupi Lok Sabha bypoll
Bangalore: In a setback to Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, the Congress Wednesday won the bypoll to the Udupi-Chikmagalur Lok Sabha seat in Karnataka with its nominee K Jayaprakash Hegde defeating the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party`s V Sunil Kumar.
Congress’ Hegde secured 3,98,723 votes as against 3,52,999 votes secured by BJP’s Kumar, a winning margin of over 50,000 votes.
Janata Dal-Secular nominee SL Bhoje Gowda was third with 72,080.
Around 68 percent of the 1.24 million eligible voters had cast their ballots in the bypoll caused by BJP`s DV Sadananda Gowda vacating the seat after becoming Chief Minister in August last year.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state