Congress wins Udupi Lok Sabha bypoll
Bangalore: In a setback to Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, the Congress Wednesday won the bypoll to the Udupi-Chikmagalur Lok Sabha seat in Karnataka with its nominee K Jayaprakash Hegde defeating the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party`s V Sunil Kumar.
Congress’ Hegde secured 3,98,723 votes as against 3,52,999 votes secured by BJP’s Kumar, a winning margin of over 50,000 votes.
Janata Dal-Secular nominee SL Bhoje Gowda was third with 72,080.
Around 68 percent of the 1.24 million eligible voters had cast their ballots in the bypoll caused by BJP`s DV Sadananda Gowda vacating the seat after becoming Chief Minister in August last year.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon