Constables` assault case: Accused MLA surfaces, says ready for probe
Bangalore: Surfacing few days after he was reported absconding, a ruling Congress MLA who is facing a criminal case for allegedly assaulting two constables in a brawl at a bar on Sunday maintained that he was not dodging the police and is ready to face probe into the incident.
"I have still not received any call. Please don`t spread false news that I`m absconding. As promised yesterday itself, I`m very much in Bangalore, I will be here," Vijayanand Kashappanavar told reporters here, even as city police had been maintaining they were looking for the MLA as they were clueless about his whereabouts.
Kashappanavar and six of his supporters have been slapped with criminal cases for allegedly attacking two police constables at a high-profile bar in Bangalore on July 2, when they objected to a party that was continuing past midnight.
He said "If it (call by Central Crime Branch of police) comes I`m very much here, I`m ready to go and face the investigation...I`m an MLA. I`m answerable to people of my constituency. I`m not running away."
Stating that he is ready to cooperate in the probe, he said "if they call me it`s my duty to go and face the probe".
In response to a question whether he will attend the ongoing assembly session tomorrow, Kashappanavar said "I will attend."
In their complaint, the constables have said that senior officers sent them to check whether the bar was open past 1 am, violating rules, and when they started to click photos, the legislator and his associates, who were partying began to hurl abuses before "manhandling" them.
The Cubbon Park police station Inspector was also allegedly threatened by the MLA against registering a case, they said.
The complainants also alleged that the legislator forced the bar staff to serve liquor past the stipulated time of 11 PM.
The issue had rocked the Assembly which was adjourned on Friday to July 7 as it plunged into pandemonium after agitated BJP members demanded arrest of Kashappanavar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report