Contract Labour Act to be amended to ensure job security: Min
Bangalore: The Contract Labour Act will be
amended to ensure job security to the workforce and to check
their exploitation, Union Minister for Labour and Employment M
Mallikarjun Kharge said here on Monday.
The practice of outsourcing labour has severely
affected the workforce, Kharge said.
"With employers resorting to outsourcing methods to a
larger extent, the practice has dealt a severe blow to
employees as they get lower wages," he told reporters here.
The minister said government has appointed a Task
Force to suggest amendments to the Contract Labour Act.
Noting that the Union Cabinet recently approved 17
amendments to the Mines Act 1952, he said an amendment bill
would be introduced in the budget session to make mine owners
and officials accountable for safety norms.
Under the existing law, only managers and agents of
mines owners are held responsible for disasters, Kharge said.
Meagre penalties in the current Act have been enhanced
to regulate safety, health and welfare aspects of about 55
lakh workers employed in the mining industry, Kharge said.
The government has directed the Union Labour Secretary
to study the recommendations of wage board for journalists and
other newspaper employees.
"Efforts will be made to implement the report on wage
revision as soon as possible, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof