Controversial "Made Snana" begins in Karnataka
Kukke Subramanya: The controversial "Made Snana", a ritual in which devotees rolling over leftovers of food partaken by Brahmins on plantain leaves to fulfil vow, began at the famous Kukke Subramanaya temple in Mangalore district on Sunday.
The temple authorities decided to allow the practice in the wake of Supreme Court staying the modified "Ede Snana" (rolling on plantain leaves on which food offered to deity is kept) suggested by Karnataka Government in the aftermath of the ritual coming up for flak from several social organisations who had demanded a ban on it.
The "Made Snana", an yearly ritual lasting for three days began at 2.50 pm amidst tight security when the doors of the inner courtyard were thrown upon and over 150 devotees, including Brahmins, rolled over the plantain leaves. The ritual lasted for nearly 15 minutes.
President of the Management Committee of Kukke Subramanya temple, Krishna Prasad Mudtila told reporters that "in accordance with the recent Supreme Court order, we are following the ritual that has been practised for years".
According to BK Bhaskar, Secretary Adivasi Bodakattu Samithi, which had approached the Supreme Court challenging the Karnataka High Court order, "this is a tradition that is being practised since 5,000 years. People who have no knowledge of the ritual have been objecting to it. It is a religious tradition", he said.
The High Court recently had approved the formula of the state in which food offerred to the god would be spread on plantain leaves to facilitate devotees to roll on them instead of the left over food of the Brahmins.
Some devotees who are opposed to any change in the system however challenged the High Court ruling and secured stay from the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP