Controversial "Made Snana" begins in Karnataka
Kukke Subramanya: The controversial "Made Snana", a ritual in which devotees rolling over leftovers of food partaken by Brahmins on plantain leaves to fulfil vow, began at the famous Kukke Subramanaya temple in Mangalore district on Sunday.
The temple authorities decided to allow the practice in the wake of Supreme Court staying the modified "Ede Snana" (rolling on plantain leaves on which food offered to deity is kept) suggested by Karnataka Government in the aftermath of the ritual coming up for flak from several social organisations who had demanded a ban on it.
The "Made Snana", an yearly ritual lasting for three days began at 2.50 pm amidst tight security when the doors of the inner courtyard were thrown upon and over 150 devotees, including Brahmins, rolled over the plantain leaves. The ritual lasted for nearly 15 minutes.
President of the Management Committee of Kukke Subramanya temple, Krishna Prasad Mudtila told reporters that "in accordance with the recent Supreme Court order, we are following the ritual that has been practised for years".
According to BK Bhaskar, Secretary Adivasi Bodakattu Samithi, which had approached the Supreme Court challenging the Karnataka High Court order, "this is a tradition that is being practised since 5,000 years. People who have no knowledge of the ritual have been objecting to it. It is a religious tradition", he said.
The High Court recently had approved the formula of the state in which food offerred to the god would be spread on plantain leaves to facilitate devotees to roll on them instead of the left over food of the Brahmins.
Some devotees who are opposed to any change in the system however challenged the High Court ruling and secured stay from the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla