Controversial "Made Snana" begins in Karnataka
Kukke Subramanya: The controversial "Made Snana", a ritual in which devotees rolling over leftovers of food partaken by Brahmins on plantain leaves to fulfil vow, began at the famous Kukke Subramanaya temple in Mangalore district on Sunday.
The temple authorities decided to allow the practice in the wake of Supreme Court staying the modified "Ede Snana" (rolling on plantain leaves on which food offered to deity is kept) suggested by Karnataka Government in the aftermath of the ritual coming up for flak from several social organisations who had demanded a ban on it.
The "Made Snana", an yearly ritual lasting for three days began at 2.50 pm amidst tight security when the doors of the inner courtyard were thrown upon and over 150 devotees, including Brahmins, rolled over the plantain leaves. The ritual lasted for nearly 15 minutes.
President of the Management Committee of Kukke Subramanya temple, Krishna Prasad Mudtila told reporters that "in accordance with the recent Supreme Court order, we are following the ritual that has been practised for years".
According to BK Bhaskar, Secretary Adivasi Bodakattu Samithi, which had approached the Supreme Court challenging the Karnataka High Court order, "this is a tradition that is being practised since 5,000 years. People who have no knowledge of the ritual have been objecting to it. It is a religious tradition", he said.
The High Court recently had approved the formula of the state in which food offerred to the god would be spread on plantain leaves to facilitate devotees to roll on them instead of the left over food of the Brahmins.
Some devotees who are opposed to any change in the system however challenged the High Court ruling and secured stay from the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail