COP summoned, asked to be present in Lok court on Tuesday
Bangalore: Lokayukta court on Monday summoned City Commissioner of Police, Jyothiprakash Mirji to be present in the court on Tuesday in connection with an application filed by social activist TJ Abraham that he had allegedly failed to act on the representation by Abraham seeking security as he (Abraham) was facing threat to his life.
Lokayukta court judge NK Sudhindra Rao directed Miji to be present in the court tomorrow at 3 pm.
The court in its order on the application took into account the submissions made by Abraham`s counsel K V Dhananjay stating "the counsel for the complainant submits the complainant apprehends there is a grave threat to his life after his complaint to the court led to the exposure of high and mighty in Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure Corridor (BMIC) corruption scandal."
"Although a representation was given to the COP on Nov 6 itself and repeated reminders were given thereafter, the COP has turned a blind eye to the threat.....He cannot pretend ignorance".
"Yet he has not bothered to provide a police constable to the complainant in the past two days.Under these circumstances it becomes necessary to summon the COP to explain his inaction. Every court of justice has the inherent power to protect those who invoke its process. This court has ample powers to direct the COP to perform his legal obligation to protect a complainant to the anti-corruption court", the court stated in its order.
On December 11, Karnataka High Court had granted four weeks interim stay on the Lokayukta order passed on the complaint while hearing petitions filed by NICE and its sister concerns seeking stay of the order.
The matter has been posted to January 2 for further hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Italy's 2-0 win shows Spain's golden era gone for good
- Rio Olympics 2016: Simona Halep too could pull out of event because of Zika fears
- 21-year-old commits suicide over morphed Facebook images
- REVEALED: How Test captain Virat Kohli played game-changing role in Anil Kumble's appointment
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to become cheaper; Circle rates reduced by 15%