COP summoned, asked to be present in Lok court on Tuesday
Bangalore: Lokayukta court on Monday summoned City Commissioner of Police, Jyothiprakash Mirji to be present in the court on Tuesday in connection with an application filed by social activist TJ Abraham that he had allegedly failed to act on the representation by Abraham seeking security as he (Abraham) was facing threat to his life.
Lokayukta court judge NK Sudhindra Rao directed Miji to be present in the court tomorrow at 3 pm.
The court in its order on the application took into account the submissions made by Abraham`s counsel K V Dhananjay stating "the counsel for the complainant submits the complainant apprehends there is a grave threat to his life after his complaint to the court led to the exposure of high and mighty in Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure Corridor (BMIC) corruption scandal."
"Although a representation was given to the COP on Nov 6 itself and repeated reminders were given thereafter, the COP has turned a blind eye to the threat.....He cannot pretend ignorance".
"Yet he has not bothered to provide a police constable to the complainant in the past two days.Under these circumstances it becomes necessary to summon the COP to explain his inaction. Every court of justice has the inherent power to protect those who invoke its process. This court has ample powers to direct the COP to perform his legal obligation to protect a complainant to the anti-corruption court", the court stated in its order.
On December 11, Karnataka High Court had granted four weeks interim stay on the Lokayukta order passed on the complaint while hearing petitions filed by NICE and its sister concerns seeking stay of the order.
The matter has been posted to January 2 for further hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened