Corporal punishment: K`taka warns education dept officials
Bangalore: The Karnataka Government on Thursday
issued a stern warning to education department officials to
ensure that students are not subjected to corporal punishment
and sexual harassment.
The directive comes in the wake of a boy`s death, who
allegedly became victim of corporal punishment, at a private
school in Honnavar in Uttara Kannada district recently.
Minister for Primary and Secondary Education
Vishweshara Hegde Kageri told PTI that he has asked the Deputy
Directors of Public Instruction (DDPIs) and Block Education
Officers (BEOs) to monitor schools to check these incidents.
"There are several circulars issued in this regard.
But the officials hardly oversee the implementation. Now the
government has decided to make DDPIs and BEOs also responsible
for lapses on such issues", Kageri said.
Afzal Pasha (8), who was reportedly ordered to run
around the school ground for turning up late, collapsed and
died, evoking protests from locals. His teacher Ganesh was
arrested and suspended in this regard. The Head Master and
President of the School were also arrested. They have been
released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day