‘Cost of holding elections to Karnataka Assembly is Rs 200 crore’
Bangalore: A sum of Rs 200 crore would be spent on conducting elections to the State Legislative Assembly on May 5, the state`s Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha said here on Tuesday.
The state government would bear entire cost of the poll and had already
released Rs 100 crore, he told reporters here.
"We sought Rs 200 crore from the state Government to conduct elections. We will spend about Rs 180 crore to Rs 200 crore", he said.
About Rs 2.5 lakh would be spent in each constituency to create awareness on enrolment of names in the voters` list and taking up Systematic Voters? Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) plan.
Steps have been taken to increase the percentage of voters to the population from the present 62 to 65 in Bangalore.
Already, 3.02 lakh applications have been received since January 20 in the city and nearly 60 per cent of them had been cleared.
There are 64.41 lakh voters in the city.
Jha said he held a meeting with officials of the Excise Department and instructed them to take steps to prevent illegal transportation of liquor and manufacturing of spurious liquor in districts.
All distilleries have been told to adhere to the model code of conduct during elections. There are 94 distilleries, including 23 wineries, in the State. Units have to manufacture liquor as per the indent given by the Karnataka State Beverages Corporation Limited, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview