Counting of votes for Assembly bypolls begins in Karnataka
Bangalore: Counting of votes for the Aug 21bye-elections to the three Assembly seats in Karnataka began Monday morning.
Chikkodi-Sadalga, Shikaripura and Bellary Rural went tothe polls after Prakash Hukkeri (Congress) and former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and B Sriramulu (both BJP) vacated their seats respectively following their election to Lok Sabha.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made at the counting centres with observers supervising and overseeing the process which began at 8 am, officials said.
Twenty-two candidates are in the fray for the by-polls which are the first popular test in the state after the Lok Sabha polls.
The ruling Congress is not only hoping to retain its seat but also wrest those held by BJP, which pulled out an impressive performance in the Lok Sabha polls, bagging 17 of the 28 seats against nine secured by the Congress.
It is also a prestigeous fight for Yeddyurappa as his son BY Raghavendra is contesting from Shikaripura, his bastion from where the BJP strongman has won seven times.
JDS, led by former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda has notfielded any candidates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata