Court allows plea to produce Jayalalithaa`s seized valuables
Bangalore: A special court trying the Rs 66.65 crore disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa here on Thursday allowed a plea by DMK general secretary K Anbazhagan seeking physical production of valuables and other assets seized from her in 1997.
Special Court Judge John Michael D`Cunha ordered the transit of the seized material from Chennai to Bangalore by December 21, observing that it was required for giving fair justice. The seized material is deposited in an RBI treasury in Chennai.
In his application, Anbazhagan had pleaded that the court should take custody of 800 kg silver, 28 kg gold, 750 pairs of shoes, 10,500 sarees, 91 watches and other items that were seized during a raid in 1997 as evidence.
Jayalalithaa`s advocates, however, labelled the plea as political vendetta and argued the physical production was not mandated under the law.
They also contended that transiting the material would raise logistic and security concerns. Also, the DMK leader was a third party in the case and does not have any locus standi to seek production of materials.
They said the material had been filmed and it had also been declared in wealth tax and income tax filings by Jayalalithaa. The court adjourned the case to December 21.
The AIADMK chief is accused of amassing Rs 66.65 crore between 1991 and 1996 when she was the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow