Court asks police to file FIR against Karnataka minister
Bangalore: A court here on Tuesday directed police to register an FIR against Karnataka Agriculture Minister Umesh Katti for his statement in favour of separate statehood for North Karnataka.
Seventh Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Jayaprakash ordered police to register the FIR against Katti under IPC sections 153 (wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot) and 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence language etc).
Karnataka Anushtana Mandali President R A Prasad in his petition had sought criminal proceedings against the minister for making a statement in favour of separate statehood for North Karnataka.
Prasad alleged Katti`s statements violated states Reorganisation Act. "Such provocative words coming from a minister`s mouth is abominable. These remarks may disturb peace in the society," he said.
In October last year, Katti had stated at a meeting that he was firm on his stand that North Karnataka be made a separate state by 2020 for better development of the region.
The concept of small states would become a reality by the year 2020 and the country would have around 50 states, he had stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends