Court recommends action against Melkote priest
Melkote: With the allegations of irregularities against Cheluvarayaswamy temple priest involving precious stone-studded gold chains adorning the presiding deity having proven true, Assistant Commissioner`s Court in Pandavapura has recommended strict disciplinary action against the priest.
The court in its recommendation recently regarding the four-year-old case cited dereliction of duty, breach of sanctity of temple and misuse of power against the priest Narasaraja Bhat, who was unable to justify the difference of about 800 gm of gold in the ornaments and submitted its report to the Deputy Commissioner recommending a COD inquiry to unearth the facts.
The report stated that the priest had given the physical measurements of the idol of the presiding deity to private firms, obtained gold ornaments from devotees directly, kept these in his house for four months, not maintained official receipts of jewel makers properly and evaded tax.
The Deputy Commissioner who received the report of the AC Court on May 18 sought legal opinion from the District Public Prosecutor, before sending a directive to the Melukote Temple Trust to take disciplinary action against the priest, based on the instruction from the Religious Endowment Commissioner.
The Public Prosecutor, upon studying the court order, besides recommending probe by a government agency like the COD, proposed suspension of the priest for six months, which is liable for further extension, in case the enquiry is not completed in time.
The Public Prosecutor held that the priest be suspended under Section 17(4) of the Religious Endowment Act, 2012.
Meanwhile, the Temple Executive Officer Venugopal said a decision will be taken regarding the suspension of the priest soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp