Court to decide on Yeddyurappa’s bail plea
Bangalore: A special Lokayukta court, on Wednesday, will take up the bail plea of former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa who has been named in a graft case related to a land scam.
Scam-hit former Yeddyurappa had last week appeared in court along with sons BS Vijayendra and BS Raghavendra and son-in-law R Sohan Kumar, who have also been –along with 11 others –named as guilty in the case.
Additional City Civil and Sessions Judge NK Sudhindra Rao, who also functions as special Lokayukta (ombudsman) court for speedy trial of graft cases, will hear the bail petitions.
Though the summons was issued Aug 8 to appear in the court Aug 27, Yeddyurappa failed to turn up and sought exemption from personal appearance as he was suffering from fever.
Yeddyurappa was forced to appear before the trial court after the Karnataka High Court rejected his anticipatory bail application and directed him to comply with the trial court’s summons to appear before it.
The case was filed Jan 23 by advocates Sirajin Bhasha and NK Balaraj after state Governor HR Bhardwaj gave them permission Jan 21 to launch criminal proceedings against Yeddyurappa in the land scam.
In their complaints, the two city-based advocates accused Yeddyurappa, Vijayendra, Raghavendra and Sohan Kumar and 11 others of conspiring to denotify the lands in return for monetary benefits. Raghavendra is the ruling party`s Lok Sabha member from Shimoga, about 280 km from Bangalore.
Yeddyurapa resigned July 31 after former Lokayukta Justice (retd) N. Santosh Hegde recommended his trial for graft in the multi-crore mining scam in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees