Court to decide on Yeddyurappa’s bail plea
Bangalore: A special Lokayukta court, on Wednesday, will take up the bail plea of former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa who has been named in a graft case related to a land scam.
Scam-hit former Yeddyurappa had last week appeared in court along with sons BS Vijayendra and BS Raghavendra and son-in-law R Sohan Kumar, who have also been –along with 11 others –named as guilty in the case.
Additional City Civil and Sessions Judge NK Sudhindra Rao, who also functions as special Lokayukta (ombudsman) court for speedy trial of graft cases, will hear the bail petitions.
Though the summons was issued Aug 8 to appear in the court Aug 27, Yeddyurappa failed to turn up and sought exemption from personal appearance as he was suffering from fever.
Yeddyurappa was forced to appear before the trial court after the Karnataka High Court rejected his anticipatory bail application and directed him to comply with the trial court’s summons to appear before it.
The case was filed Jan 23 by advocates Sirajin Bhasha and NK Balaraj after state Governor HR Bhardwaj gave them permission Jan 21 to launch criminal proceedings against Yeddyurappa in the land scam.
In their complaints, the two city-based advocates accused Yeddyurappa, Vijayendra, Raghavendra and Sohan Kumar and 11 others of conspiring to denotify the lands in return for monetary benefits. Raghavendra is the ruling party`s Lok Sabha member from Shimoga, about 280 km from Bangalore.
Yeddyurapa resigned July 31 after former Lokayukta Justice (retd) N. Santosh Hegde recommended his trial for graft in the multi-crore mining scam in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan