Depression brings copious rains in south Karnataka
Bangalore: A depression due to cyclonic storm `Nilam` on Thursday brought copious rains in several parts of south interior Karnataka, paralysing normal life in the region.
"Nilam", which crossed north Tamil Nadu coast last evening, weakened into a deep depression and further into a depression over Rayalseema and adjoining areas of South Interior Karnataka and lay centred at 8.30 am near Chitradurga.
The depression caused heavy rains paralysing normal life in several parts of the state.
The system will move northwestwards and weaken into a low pressure, Met officials said.
Bagepalli in Chikaballapur District received the highest rainfall of 14 cm during the 24 hours ending 8.30 AM today, followed by Koartagere (Tumkur) 11, Kolar, Bangalore Urban and Hoskote 10 cm each.
Several parts of Kolar, Chikballapur, Tumkur, Bangalore rural and Urban District, Chitradurga and Chamarajanagara districts also received heavy rainfall, according to a Met office bulletin.
In Bangalore, several trees were uprooted by strong winds with the city experiencing continuous rainfall since last two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka