Depression brings copious rains in south Karnataka
Bangalore: A depression due to cyclonic storm `Nilam` on Thursday brought copious rains in several parts of south interior Karnataka, paralysing normal life in the region.
"Nilam", which crossed north Tamil Nadu coast last evening, weakened into a deep depression and further into a depression over Rayalseema and adjoining areas of South Interior Karnataka and lay centred at 8.30 am near Chitradurga.
The depression caused heavy rains paralysing normal life in several parts of the state.
The system will move northwestwards and weaken into a low pressure, Met officials said.
Bagepalli in Chikaballapur District received the highest rainfall of 14 cm during the 24 hours ending 8.30 AM today, followed by Koartagere (Tumkur) 11, Kolar, Bangalore Urban and Hoskote 10 cm each.
Several parts of Kolar, Chikballapur, Tumkur, Bangalore rural and Urban District, Chitradurga and Chamarajanagara districts also received heavy rainfall, according to a Met office bulletin.
In Bangalore, several trees were uprooted by strong winds with the city experiencing continuous rainfall since last two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam