Deve Gowda extends support to Pranab Mukherjee
Bangalore: JDS leader H D Deve Gowda on Thursday announced his party`s support to UPA`s Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
Deve Gowda said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had sought his support after the Congress core committee cleared the name of Mukherjee, who himself called him two days ago.
"I told the Prime Minister that I will stand by the UPA candidate", the JDS supremo, who has not been keeping well for the past one-and-half-month, told reporters.
"The Finance Minister (Mukherjee) who is going to be the next President of India asked me to spell out my stand (in public) for which I told him I will call the media today and make the announcement," the former prime minister said.
Deve Gowda also said he is unable to understand why the support of JDS, "a small party" as he put it, is sought to be made a big deal, adding his party backing may not count much as it had only three Lok Sabha members from Karnataka and 26 MLAs in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach