Deve Gowda extends support to Pranab Mukherjee
Bangalore: JDS leader H D Deve Gowda on Thursday announced his party`s support to UPA`s Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
Deve Gowda said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had sought his support after the Congress core committee cleared the name of Mukherjee, who himself called him two days ago.
"I told the Prime Minister that I will stand by the UPA candidate", the JDS supremo, who has not been keeping well for the past one-and-half-month, told reporters.
"The Finance Minister (Mukherjee) who is going to be the next President of India asked me to spell out my stand (in public) for which I told him I will call the media today and make the announcement," the former prime minister said.
Deve Gowda also said he is unable to understand why the support of JDS, "a small party" as he put it, is sought to be made a big deal, adding his party backing may not count much as it had only three Lok Sabha members from Karnataka and 26 MLAs in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC