Devegowda to lead farmers` dharna in Delhi
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D
Devegowda on Saturday said he would take along 1,500 farmers
affected by Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise (NICE)
Bangalore-Mysore expressway project to stage a two-day dharna
in New Delhi to protest against encroachment of their lands.
"Along with 1,500 farmers who have lost lands for the
project, I will stage a dharna in Delhi on March 10 and 11 to
highlight irregularities in acquisition of land for the
Bangalore-Mysore Express Highway", Gowda told reporters here.
Gowda, who has been leading the stir against land
acquisition in various villages for about a month, said
memorandum on the affairs of NICE would be submitted to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, Leader of BJP Opposition in Lok Sabha
Sushma Swaraj and leaders of all political parties.
"The BJP government in Karnataka is engaged in real
estate scam by acquiring land from farmers," Gowda, who has
been up in arms against the state acquiring 1.71 lakh acres
for formation of "land bank", alleged.
Opposition Congress which is also objecting to
acquisition of land by Bangalore Development Authority (BDA)
for a residential layout, also continuing with its agitation.
KPCC President R V Deshpande, general secretary S T
Somasekhar and others visited Gollarahatti, one of the
villages proposed for acquisition of lands.
The leaders demanded resignation of Chief Minister B S
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’