Devegowda undertakes padayatra for Cauvery water
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Devegowda today undertook a padayatra in the city demanding drinking water to the metropolis, which depends on Cauvery river.
Hundreds of women with empty plastic buckets joined him in his march from Banappa Park to Freedom Park, highlighting the drinking water problems being faced by people.
Gowda voiced displeasure over release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu when there is scarcity to meet drinking water needs.
"At least two-thirds of Bangalore depends on Cauvery for drinking water requirements. Drinking water has always got priority from all tribunals", Gowda said.
Gowda, accompanied by Anita Kumaraswamy, MLA, also his daughter-in-law,later submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to ensure drinking water to the city.
Last week the Supreme Court had ordered Karnataka to release 2.44 tmc ft of water to Tamil Nadu, despite the distress situation and the state complied with it.
The padayatra was also to focus the Centre`s attention to not notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate