Devegowda undertakes padayatra for Cauvery water
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Devegowda today undertook a padayatra in the city demanding drinking water to the metropolis, which depends on Cauvery river.
Hundreds of women with empty plastic buckets joined him in his march from Banappa Park to Freedom Park, highlighting the drinking water problems being faced by people.
Gowda voiced displeasure over release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu when there is scarcity to meet drinking water needs.
"At least two-thirds of Bangalore depends on Cauvery for drinking water requirements. Drinking water has always got priority from all tribunals", Gowda said.
Gowda, accompanied by Anita Kumaraswamy, MLA, also his daughter-in-law,later submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to ensure drinking water to the city.
Last week the Supreme Court had ordered Karnataka to release 2.44 tmc ft of water to Tamil Nadu, despite the distress situation and the state complied with it.
The padayatra was also to focus the Centre`s attention to not notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'