Devegowda undertakes padayatra for Cauvery water
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Devegowda today undertook a padayatra in the city demanding drinking water to the metropolis, which depends on Cauvery river.
Hundreds of women with empty plastic buckets joined him in his march from Banappa Park to Freedom Park, highlighting the drinking water problems being faced by people.
Gowda voiced displeasure over release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu when there is scarcity to meet drinking water needs.
"At least two-thirds of Bangalore depends on Cauvery for drinking water requirements. Drinking water has always got priority from all tribunals", Gowda said.
Gowda, accompanied by Anita Kumaraswamy, MLA, also his daughter-in-law,later submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to ensure drinking water to the city.
Last week the Supreme Court had ordered Karnataka to release 2.44 tmc ft of water to Tamil Nadu, despite the distress situation and the state complied with it.
The padayatra was also to focus the Centre`s attention to not notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train
- What a strong statement! Sushma Swaraj blasts Nawaz Sharif for delusional, dangerous Kashmir dream: READ top quotes
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?