Dharwad bench of Karnataka HC dismisses Reddy`s bail plea
Dharwad: The Dharwad bench of the Karnataka High Court on Wednesday dismissed the bail petition filed by mining baron and former minister G Janardhana Reddy in connection with the illegal mining case involving Associated Mining Company in which he is the main accused.
Justice H N Nagamohan Das dismissed the bail petition on the grounds that the accused if granted bail may interfere with the ongoing investigation by the CBI.
During the hearing of the petition on November 21, senior counsel representing CBI, Ashok Bhan had submitted that the petitioner was "interfering in the day to day administration of justice and was also threatening some witnesses".
Senior counsel for Reddy, C V Nagesh contended that so far as the documents filed by the CBI yesterday are concerned, there is no allegation against the respondent and what has been pointed out is only "anticipation of threat".
"There is no actual threat but they are only anticipating that the respondent might threaten the witnesses," he said.
Nagesh submitted further investigation that is pending is only against the then Deputy Conservator of Forest, Bellary district, S Muthaiah and then Director Mines and Geology S P Raju in connection with the alleged theft of iron ore in Belekeri port and not in this matter.
After completion of arguments, the court had reserved its verdict on the bail petition on November 21.
Reddy had approached the High Court after his bail plea was rejected by the CBI court in September.
Bail petitions of his close aide Mehfuz Ali Khan, Muthaiah, and Raju, the other accused in the case, have already been rejected by the High Court.
Janardhana Reddy and Mehfuz Ali Khan are at present lodged in Chanchalaguda jail in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister